Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Library Computer Use
- Computers are available on all floors of the library.
- If you are not affiliated with the University, please use computers on the main floor of the library.
- We reserve the right to limit the amount of time an individual user can devote to a single session.
- Only students, faculty, and staff of the University are able to use Academic Technology Center computers and facilities, which are located on the ground floor of the library.
- The computers are provided primarily for the use of University of the South students, faculty, and staff for the purpose of academic research, and for users of federal government information in electronic format. Such persons will be given preference over all other users.
Logging in to a Computer
- Access to all computers is granted via individual login.
- If you are affiliated with the University, you will use your email username and your Banner password to log on to a computer.
- If you are not affiliated with the University, you may apply for a computer login. Please inquire at the service desk for assistance with this. You will be given a temporary login to use until your permanent login has been created. This takes about a week. Individuals under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian sign their application, just as with library cards.
- All computer users must adhere to the posted University guidelines and policies for computer usage.
- Printing is available at every computer in the library.
- If you are affiliated with the University, you can print black and white pages at no charge. Color pages are $.50 for students, faculty, and staff. For color printing, get staff assistance at the service desk.
- If you are not affiliated with the University, black and white pages are $.15, and color printing is $1.00 per page. You must have a valid computer access registration, which is tied to your printing account. You can add money to your account at the main service desk in the library.
A Note about Printing Behavior
We encourage library users to carefully monitor their printing. Please do not be wasteful- print only what you actually need. Our printers print double-sided by default in order to conserve paper. If there is a problem with a printer, please consult library staff immediately, and do not repeatedly send print jobs to the printer. Your attention to these small, but important, items can help reduce our paper and energy consumption.
Wireless Internet: Students, Faculty, and Staff
All users must register for wireless network access. Students, faculty, and staff should only have to do this once with each wireless device (see instructions below). Guests should connect to the "Sewanee-Open" network, and follow the instructions (see below) for creating an account.
Wireless Access and Registration: Sewanee Students, Faculty, and Staff
- Select the "Sewanee-Open" wireless network, and open a web browser if one does not automatically open. PC users may see a dialogue box that prompts them to click to open a browser.
- On the wireless web site that opens, click on the link to configure your computer for secure access.
- Click the “Start” button on the resulting screen ("Sewanee Secured Configuration Utility"), and follow the instructions to download and run the Aruba Quick Connect Application. You will only have to do this once.
- Your user name is your email address without the “@sewanee.edu,” and your password is your Banner password (PIN). For some Mac users, you will also need to enter your admin password- this is your computer password.
- Once the password has been authenticated, click Connect.
- Check to see if your computer is connected to the "Sewanee-Secured" network. If not, change from the Open to Secure network.
Faculty and staff should call the Help Desk at x1369 if there are problems. Students should call the Student Technology Assistants at x1020 if there are problems, or visit the Student Computing Help Desk (next to the Writing Center) in the Academic Technology Center.
Wireless Access in the Library: Guests
Wireless Access and Registration: Sewanee Guests
- Connect to the "Sewanee-Open" wireless network, and open a web browser.
- Follow the link to create an account.
- Enter your full name and a valid email address.
- Click on the "Register" button.
- Click on the "Log In" button.
Guests should call the Help Desk at x1369 if there are problems.