2016-17 Flo Wilson
2015-16 Flo Wilson
2014-15 Tom Kandul
2013-14 Tom Kandul and Rick Sommer
2012-13 Tom Kandul and Rick Sommer
2011-12 Jim Dunkly and Vicki Sells
2009-10 Phil Loney and Pat Wiser
2008-09 Tom & Gail Watson
2007-08 Tom & Gail Watson
2006-07 Tom & Gail Watson
2005-06 Bob & Karen Keele
2004-05 Bob & Karen Keele
2003-04 Allan & Carol Parrent
2002-03 Allan & Carol Parrent
2001-02 Ned & Sally McCrady
2000-01 Ned & Sally McCrady
1999-2000 Charles & Ruth DuBois
1998-99 Charles & Ruth DuBois
1997-98 Jack Carter
1996-97 Don Armentrout
1995-96 Don Armentrout
1994-95 Don Armentrout
1993-94 Don DuPree
1992-93 Don DuPree
1991-92 Don DuPree
1990-91 Don DuPree
1989-90 Eugene Ham
1988-89 Eugene Ham
1987-88 Peggy Haines
1986-87 Scott Bates
1985-86 Jack Gessell
1984-85 Edith McCrady
1983-84 Edith McCrady
1982-83 Edith McCrady
Flo Wilson, Chair
Linda Parrish, Secretary
Penny Cowan (ex-officio)
Rachel Rodgers, Student Member
Vicki Sells (ex-officio)
Russell Green (ex-officio)
CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS OF
THE FRIENDS OF THE LIBRARY
OF THE UNIVERSITY OF THE SOUTH
ARTICLE I. NAME
The name of this organization shall be Friends of the Library of The University of the South.
ARTICLE II. PURPOSE
The Friends of the Library of the University of the South exists to support the Library as an intellectual, cultural and social center for Sewanee and beyond.
Our purpose is to
Enrich the cultural life of the community by sponsoring lectures, programs and activities.
Encourage gifts for the enrichment of the Library
Increase public awareness of the Library’s resources and services.
Attract others to become involved in the Friends of the Library.
ARTICLE III. MEMBERSHIP
A. Membership in this organization shall be open to any person subscribing to the above purpose.
B. Classes of membership and annual dues shall be determined by the Governing Board.
C. The Governing Board may elect to honorary lifetime membership in the organization retired employees of the library and individuals who have provided outstanding service or made significant contributions to the library.
D. Benefits of membership shall be determined by the Governing Board in consultation with the library staff.
ARTICLE IV. OFFICERS AND THEIR DUTIES
The officers of this organization shall be:
A. A Chair or Co-Chairs
1. The Chair or Co-Chairs shall be nominated by the Governing Board and elected by the general membership at its annual meeting. The term of office shall be two years.
2. The Chair or one of the Co-Chairs shall preside at all meetings of the Friends of the Library and of the Governing Board and shall appoint all committees.
3. The Chair or Co-Chairs shall call all meetings of the Governing Board as he/she/they deem advisable and shall call a meeting of the general membership at least once a year.
4. It shall be the duty of the Chair or Co-Chairs to carry out the will of the Governing Board and of the general membership as determined by majority vote of those bodies.
B. A Vice Chair (if there is no Co-Chair)
1. The Vice Chair shall be elected in the same manner as the Chair to a term of two years.
2. In the absence of the Chair, the Vice Chair will discharge the duties of the Chair.
C. A Secretary/Treasurer
1. The Secretary/Treasurer shall be elected by the Governing Board from among its members and shall keep minutes of all meetings of the general membership and of the Governing Board.
2. The Secretary/Treasurer shall see that a complete list of the names and addresses of all members of the organization be kept and shall oversee the correspondence of the organization .
3. The Secretary/Treasurer shall report on the receipt and use of the funds of the organization at each Governing Board meeting.
4. The Secretary/Treasurer shall serve until his/her successor has been elected.
D. In the event of a vacancy in an officer position, a replacement from among the remaining Board members shall be appointed by the Board to serve in an interim capacity.
ARTICLE V. GOVERNING BOARD
A. The Governing Board shall consist of the above officers, the ex officio members, and up to twelve members-at-large elected from and by the general membership by a majority of the members present and voting at a duly announced meeting.
B. Members-at-large shall be elected for a term of three years and may be reelected for an additional term.
C. An effort shall be made to see that various constituencies of users of the library (faculty, administration, library staff, students, alumni and members of the community) are represented on the Governing Board.
D. The University Librarian shall be an ex officio voting member of the Board. The Librarian of the School of Theology, the Director, Collections Management, and others as deemed desirable shall be designated as ex officio, non-voting members of the Board.
E. The Governing Board shall be responsible for planning and overseeing the activities and other matters which advance the stated purposes of the organization.
F. The Governing Board shall determine the classes of membership in the organization and assign the annual dues.
ARTICLE VI. COMMITTEES
The Chair, with the advice of the Governing Board, shall appoint standing committees such as a membership committee and program committee. The Chair or Co-Chair may appoint ad hoc committees as they are needed.
ARTICLE VII. GIFTS, FUNDS AND LIABILITY
A. The Governing Board shall assume responsibility for administering expenditures of funds and the disposal of gifts in accordance with the wishes expressed by the donors. In the absence of such wishes, disposal shall be made by the Governing Board.
B. Gifts which are offered to the Friends of the Library and which are subject to any conditions not specifically sanctioned by existing University or Library policy must be approved by the University Librarian before they can be accepted.
C. No member shall be liable for the debts or obligations of this organization. No personal liability shall in any event attach to any member of this organization with respect to any of its undertakings. All liabilities of this organization shall be limited to its common funds and assets.
D. Neither the Governing Board nor the officers shall have any authority to borrow money or incur any indebtedness or liability in the name of or on behalf of this organization.
ARTICLE VIII. MEETINGS
A. A meeting of the general membership of the Friends of the Library shall be held once a year. Additional meetings may be called at the discretion of the Governing Board.
B. The Governing Board shall be responsible for arranging the meetings of the general membership and for notifying the membership by email of their time and place.
C. The Governing Board shall meet at least three times a year or as needed.
ARTICLE IX. AMENDMENTS
This Constitution and these Bylaws may be amended at any regular or called meeting of the general membership by a vote of two-thirds of the members present and voting, provided that notice of the proposed amendments requiring a vote has been sent by email to the members at least seven days prior to said meeting.
March 31, 2016